[governance] Re: Need for strategic planning (was Re: Why Cell Phones Went Dead...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Nov 21 04:12:35 EST 2012

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:

> The trouble with big picture thinking is that it also requires
> coordinated strategy, funding to research and maintain the big
> picture, forge links with different stakeholders etc.
>
> If that's missing, it is simply about 20 more emails on this list
> spent discussing this issue.

This sounds to me as if you'd want to discourage anyone who is not a
well-established and well-funded organization from even trying to
engage in a discourse on the operationalization of big picture
objectives.

Is this understanding of your words correct?

I would assert that big picture thinking, with as much multistakeholder
input as can reasonably be obtained, is necessary before it is possible
to identify the key strategic objectives for achieving the big global
public interest goals, and then build alliances around those objectives,
and then coordinate strategy within those alliances (there's no point in
trying to "coordinate strategy" with those who don't agree with your
objective), and then request whatever funding is necessary to implement
those strategies.

Greetings,
Norbert