[governance] Re: Need for strategic planning (was Re: Why Cell Phones Went Dead...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Nov 21 13:00:50 EST 2012

Suresh Ramasubramanian <suresh at hserus.net> wrote:
> Norbert Bollow [21/11/12 10:12 +0100]:
> >public interest goals, and then build alliances around those
> >objectives, and then coordinate strategy within those alliances
> >(there's no point in trying to "coordinate strategy" with those who
> >don't agree with your objective), and then request whatever funding
> >is necessary to implement those strategies.
>
> You'll find that it is a bit of a chicken and egg situation here. You
> need funding to identify goals, meet with lots of organizations, gain
> consensus etc.

You have a valid point that building a strong and international alliance
requires the steps "meet with lots of organizations" and "gain
consensus" (with those who have a reasonable degree of agreement with
the objectives that have been identified), which probably require
getting some funding (much less than for implementation work of any
significance, but still some funding will be needed).

But I think that thanks to the Internet, the "identify goals" step can
nowadays be done even in the absence of any significant funding. (As
mentioned before, I'm talking about a serious logical thinking process
--with multistakeholder input-- aimed at determining an appropriate set
of key objectives that would further the important big picture public
interest goals.)

And I do think that getting funding will be much less impossible if at
the time of requesting funding, one is already able to describe the
objectives clearly, together with good arguments why specifically these
objectives are particularly important, as opposed to saying "um we
require funding to figure out what our objectives should be".

Greetings,
Norbert