[governance] WG on Armenian IGF expresses its deep gratitude to the IGF Secretariat

Narine Khachatryan ms.narine.khachatryan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 01:01:06 EST 2012

The Working Group on Armenian IGF expresses its deep gratitude to the
Secretariat of the Internet Governance Forum and IGF Remote Participation
Team for taking immediate and effective measures and  urgently responding
to our Statement made on November 7, 2012.

Statement by the Working Group on Armenian IGF at the 7th Annual IGF Meeting

*Statement *

*by the **Working Group on Armenian IGF*

*at the **Seventh Annual IGF Meeting of the** Internet Governance Forum 2012
*

"*Internet Governance for Sustainable Human, Economic and Social Development
*"

* *

          The Working Group on Armenian IGF was willing and ready to take
active part in the Seventh Annual IGF Meeting of the Internet Governance
Forum convened in Baku, Azerbaijan, from November 6 to 9, 2012. It was also
looking forward to make its valuable contribution to the Internet
Governance process, especially, taking into consideration the vitality and
actuality of the Forum's subject matter. However, the recent developments
in Azerbaijan made our physical presence at the Forum dangerous and,
therefore, impossible.

          The extradition by Hungary to Azerbaijan and the unprecedented
pardon by Azerbaijan's President Aliyev of the notorious Ramil Safarov who
axe-murdered in cold blood in February of 2004 in Budapest, Hungary, the
sleeping Armenian military officer Gurgen Margaryan, as well as the
subsequent cynical glorification and honoring of the brutal killer in
Azerbaijan, combined with the increasing anti-Armenian racist propaganda on
the highest level, inflicted considerable damage to the weak contacts
existing between Armenia and Azerbaijan within the framework of the
international organizations and fora. With outright contempt and neglect,
Azerbaijan continues to turn blind eye and deaf ear to the unanimous and
unequivocal condemnation voiced by many countries, international and
European organizations over this gross violation of the principles and
norms of the international law and human morality[1].

          Internet Governance for Sustainable Human, Economic and Social
Development – these are not just words. On November 6, 2012, the Armenian
side was harshly rejected the simple opportunity of remote participation in
the IGF work: neither web broadcasting nor transcripts of the sessions and
workshops have been available to Armenian citizens, let alone the
unwillingness of some moderators to answer our questions or voice our
rightful concerns or complaints.

          We therefore strongly insist on ensuring of our full-fledged
participation in the IGF activities at all levels in order to guarantee the
inclusiveness and transparency of the entire IGF process.

*Yerevan, November 7, 2012*

[1]
http://www.amnesty.org/en/library/asset/EUR55/015/2012/en/8e84f955-9f8f-488c-ad34-c68a744b6878/eur550152012en.html

Narine Khachatryan,
On behalf of the Working Group on Armenian IGF