[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Thu May 31 09:27:47 EDT 2012

On Thursday 31 May 2012 01:37 PM, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> parminder<parminder at itforchange.net>  wrote:
>
>> Jac, your misgivings about how civ soc will be able to influence things
>> are understandable. But it is not that with turning of a switch the
>> regulatory order will shift from the national to the global level.  In
>> making the demands for democratising global IG what is expected is
>> rather a complex interplay of global and national level of politics -
>> with certain degrees of government-ish authorities and corresponding
>> role and participative-ness of civ soc - as is appropriate to the
>> complex global-national nature of the Internet. There is no alternative
>> to such a layered national-global system
>>
> Hmm... can you explain how the "layered national-global system"
> concept would work in practice?

Norbert, I this point I only suggested it as the generic shape and form
which political systems will need to take around the Internet, in
response to Jac's concerns about CS's suitable points of interaction and
influence. Seeking from this generic statement, the right solution to a
specific problem, jumping, inter alia, the step of appropriate
institutional arrangements, would indeed be a big leap. However I can
try. For the start, 'Internet intermediary guidelines' should be
developed globally, with all countries present, instead of OECD
developing them as present! These guidelines can limit what the Internet
intermediaries can and cannot do, and the due process of doing it, while
giving enough quarters to local law, but also seeks certain
harmonisations on the line of universal human rights etc. If that is
difficult at this stage, perhaps, we can reach the level of providing
certain set of options, with obligations to report things etc, and
pressures build into the system to move towards higher quality
options... as the UN human rights system operates today. It does help.

  I know some people would immediately raise the 'lowest common
denominator' alarm, but I have great faith in global community's
political abilities and future, and even in its currently imperfect
representational systems (which includes soft, but increasing,
representational power of the civil society). And if one really doesnt
have such faith one should, perhaps, correspondingly disassociate from
economic and social globalisation, and return to small community living.

parminder