[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu May 31 10:25:28 EDT 2012

In message <4FC771D3.6030509 at itforchange.net>, at 18:57:47 on Thu, 31
May 2012, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
> For the start, 'Internet intermediary guidelines' should be developed
>globally, with all countries present, instead of OECD developing them
>as present! These guidelines can limit what the Internet intermediaries
>can and cannot do, and the due process of doing it, while giving enough
>quarters to local law, but also seeks certain harmonisations on the
>line of universal human rights etc.

I don't know if the remit of the OECD study has changed since I was
participating about two years ago, but at that point it wasn't talking
about what Intermediaries can and cannot do, but which things happening
on their systems (instigated by third parties) they were liable, or not
liable, for.

eg. At the time YouTube was in the news for *not* removing a video in
Italy of a disabled child being assaulted in school (after they'd
received a complaint), rather than for exercising *too much* control.
--
Roland Perry