[governance] IGF Establishment

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu May 31 05:12:03 EDT 2012

In message <4FC65F01.3000201 at wzb.eu>, at 19:55:13 on Wed, 30 May 2012,
Jeanette Hofmann <jeanette at wzb.eu> writes
>I was on the MAG since year one and I recall a discussion on the
>relationship between IGF and EC. That discussion came about because
>Nitin's first round of consultations (it was Nitin who led those
>consultations wasn't it?) in the first year after WSIS did not have any
>meaningful result. None of the gov's he talked to had any suggestions
>as to how the concept of EC could be meaningfully put to practice.

My recollection as a member of the audience at all the IGF consultations
was that Nitin went on an early[1] short tour (with his Special Advisor
hat on, not his IGF chair hat) and came back empty handed. From then on
his available time was fully occupied by the IGF, and he insisted that
the two processes continued separately, the IGF under his control and EC
as a "someone else's problem" initiative from New York.

The requests for report-backs on Enhance Cooperation (I've posted the
url many times and won't bore everyone by repeating it) came from UNDESA
in New York, and weren't necessarily taken sufficiently seriously the
first year. But eventually they got reports from all the organisations
they approached.

[1] Mindful also that EC was timetabled to start before IGF, in the
     Tunis Agenda.
--
Roland Perry