[governance] IGF Establishment

Jeanette Hofmann jeanette at wzb.eu
Wed May 30 13:55:13 EDT 2012

I was on the MAG since year one and I recall a discussion on the
relationship between IGF and EC. That discussion came about because
Nitin's first round of consultations (it was Nitin who led those
consultations wasn't it?) in the first year after WSIS did not have any
meaningful result. None of the gov's he talked to had any suggestions as
to how the concept of EC could be meaningfully put to practice. The MAG
briefly talked about addressing EC at the IGF. I specifically remember a
harsh remark by someone from the European Commission who insisted that
IGF and EC have NOTHING AT ALL to do with each other.

Over the years there have been various veto coalitions. Not sure they
can be in all cases attributed to the same "establishment".

jeanette