[governance] W3C was Re: [] reality check on economics

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon May 21 10:31:55 EDT 2012

On 21 May 2012, at 09:43, Lee W McKnight wrote:

>  I'd suggest W3C has more sessions newbies could get their feet wet with.

Isn't W3C a membership group primarily of businesses (they allow individuals, but have no individual class of membership and the dues are the same - starts at 2500 USFD and goes up 7900 USD after 2 years)?  While they have some sideline groups that are open to non members, their WG, the focal point of their work, are pretty much only open to members (primarily business) and to a few invitees.

I have never seen them as a multistakeholder group, but rather as an industry group.

Please correct me if I am wrong, as a non member I have not delved very deeply except for once when I needed to understand the working group structure and their decision processes in a comparative study - but this was a few years ago.

avri