[governance] W3C was Re: [] reality check on economics

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Tue May 22 02:56:20 EDT 2012

In message <4A38B6CE-542D-46AB-A090-04733D2C54D6 at acm.org>, at 10:31:55
on Mon, 21 May 2012, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>Isn't W3C a membership group primarily of businesses (they allow individuals, but have no individual class of membership and the dues are the
>same - starts at 2500 USFD and goes up 7900 USD after 2 years)?  While they have some sideline groups that are open to non members, their WG,
>the focal point of their work, are pretty much only open to members (primarily business) and to a few invitees.
>
>I have never seen them as a multistakeholder group, but rather as an industry group.
>
>Please correct me if I am wrong, as a non member I have not delved very deeply except for once when I needed to understand the working group
>structure and their decision processes in a comparative study - but this was a few years ago.

W3C were asked their opinion on matters such as these, and their
submission was published by UNDESA. Including:

        The IETF and W3C are not "industry consortia" and, in fact, work
        in most ways like de jure standards bodies.
        W3C is an international consortium where Member organizations, a
        full-time staff, and the public work together to develop Web
        standards.

<http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/UN-
DPADM/UNPAN039046.pdf>
--