[governance] Re: reality check on economics

Lee W McKnight lmcknigh at syr.edu
Mon May 21 09:43:14 EDT 2012

Norbert,

I agree with your sentiment; but there are areas of Internet governance where knowledge of technopolitical aspects of Internet (governance) and/or technoeconomic aspects of Internet (governance) are sufficient to be an effective participant, even if one lacks the technical depth to be a meaningful contributor to IETF.

Not all lawyers that serve on UDRP panels need also have attended x IETF or RIR meetings to be positive contributors, for example.

And for some reason, the very effective and high impact W3C is always left out of these discussions, when their specs for HTML5 are more likely to directly impact many more people worldwide than the guts of the inter-network as settled by IETF.  I'd suggest W3C has more sessions newbies could get their feet wet with.

That particular sausage-making factory (IETF) really is the province of the geeks, who no offense to all of us, don't really need or want a lot of unqualified newbies mucking things up.

Lee