[governance] Re: On Enhanced Cooperation and the opportunity of a working group

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon May 21 08:50:17 EDT 2012

On 21 May 2012, at 08:31, Izumi AIZU wrote:

> In your words,
> "setting up of a working group on this topic will only be useful if
> its modalities are right and the participants engage in good faith,
> fully assuming their responsibilities."
>
> Of course, as I said, devils are in the details and where this WG be
> anchored, say under CSTD, UNSG directly (like WGIG), or IGF is one
> such devil I think.
> But they are not "uncompromiseable" elements, in a larger picture I think.

I think that wn you say under the UNSG, you have to mean under UNDESA as I think this UNSG has no, or perhaps, les interest in Internet governance.

Besides what is the probability that a CSTD that wants to aggregate more power to itself will give the control it now has over the IGF to the IGF, DESA or anyone else.

What I saw in Geneva was so regressive it was actually shocking. I expect this from repressive regimes who want to control every minutia of their people's lives. But when even some CS members join in wanting to roll back multitstakeholder participation to put control in government hands, the last hope to keep it out of government hands is that the Internet community itself not give up this model.  With the left-right coalition in the IGC against the multistakeholder model, I do not see how we are going to be much help.

avri