[governance] India's proposal for a 50 member UN committee for Internet Related Policies

Bertrand de La Chapelle bdelachapelle at gmail.com
Thu May 17 12:34:38 EDT 2012

Guru,

I like the discretion with which you do not mention that the op-ed in the
Hindu is actually from Parminder and not an op-ed by the newspaper itself
as your wording seemed to imply if one did not follow the link ;-) probably
just a question of modesty.

But anyway, the discussion is getting interesting .... let's hope
oversimplifications - on all sides - will not prevent doing useful work for
the benefit of all.

Looking forward to the discussions tomorrow and afterwards.

Best

Bertrand

On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 6:08 PM, Guru गुरु <Guru at itforchange.net> wrote:

> **
> Yes, its good that the Indian press is now also paying attention to the
> larger challenge of Internet governance - of the implications of the
> current undemocratic regimes and processes....
>
> The Hindu is one of India's most respected and sober dailies and its Op-Ed
> today has an article on the issue. The Op-Ed page also carries the civil
> society statement, which now has more than 50 institutions from across the
> world endorsing it. (statement also available in chinese, spanish, french
> and portuguese on
> http://www.itforchange.net/civil_society_statement_on_democratic_internet)
>
> Link to the Joint civil society statement - in The Hindu Op-Ed :
> http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article3426290.ece
> Link to the article - The Hindu Op-Ed :
> http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article3426292.ece
>
> As the article and the statement explain, many of us have been crying
> 'Govt takeover' too often and too long... and it is high time we **also**
> discuss the emperor's robes (sorry for mixed metaphors:-) )
>
> regards
> Guru
>

> On 16/05/12 22:11, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
> > India Today, one of the most
>
> respected news magazines in Inda and
>

> > Headlines Today, its Television channel today criticized
>
> India's
>

> > current proposal for "web takeover"
>

> http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/india-wants-internet-watchdog-proposes-50-nation-regulator-to-un/1/189032.html

> The good news is that the press is beginning to pay attention to what our
> Government is doing on its own, without due consultation.
> >

> > Sivasubramanian M ISOC India Chennai
>
> http://isocindiachennai.org
>

> > <http://isocindiachennai.org/> <http://isocindiachennai.org/>
>

> > facebook: goo.gl/1VvIG <http://goo.gl/1VvIG> <http://goo.gl/1VvIG>
> LinkedIn:
>
> goo.gl/eUt7s
>

> > <http://goo.gl/eUt7s> <http://goo.gl/eUt7s>
> Twitter: http://goo.gl/kaQ3a

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Bertrand de La Chapelle
Program Director, International Diplomatic Academy
Member, ICANN Board of Directors
Tel : +33 (0)6 11 88 33 32

"Le plus beau métier des hommes, c'est d'unir les hommes" Antoine de Saint
Exupéry
("there is no greater mission for humans than uniting humans")