[governance] India's proposal for a 50 member UN committee for Internet Related Policies

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Thu May 17 21:33:02 EDT 2012

Dear Bertrand,

Wikipedia says " An *op-ed*, abbreviated from *opposite the editorial
page <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editorial_page>*^[1]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Op-ed#cite_note-0> (though often mistaken
for *opinion-editorial*), is a newspaper
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newspaper> article that expreses the
opinions of a named writer <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Writer> who is
usually unaffiliated with the newspaper's editorial board
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Editorial_board>"

The Hindu as I mentioned is a reputed and sober daily and their op-ed is
usually solicited by the paper. So their carrying the civil society
statement and Parminders write-up on why CIRP is an opportunity to
democratise global internet governance is also a recognition of this
position.

As in the very recent case of UNCTAD, the concerted attempt by powerful
countries to undermine global democracy possibilities needs to be
resisted... see recent article in Frontline (a weekly publication from
the same group)-
http://www.frontlineonnet.com/stories/20120601291005300.htm , we have
also seen similar debates in WIPO etc and this is a dire need in IG.

regards,
Guru
ps - I like the way you mention your hope that 'over-simplification - on
all sides - will not prevent doing useful work for the benefit of all',
probably just a question of superiority, I guess  :-)