[governance] India's proposal for a 50 member UN committee for Internet Related Policies

Guru गुरु Guru at ITforChange.net
Thu May 17 12:08:28 EDT 2012

Yes, its good that the Indian press is now also paying attention to the
larger challenge of Internet governance - of the implications of the
current undemocratic regimes and processes....

The Hindu is one of India's most respected and sober dailies and its
Op-Ed today has an article on the issue. The Op-Ed page also carries the
civil society statement, which now has more than 50 institutions from
across the world endorsing it. (statement also available in chinese,
spanish, french and portuguese on
http://www.itforchange.net/civil_society_statement_on_democratic_internet )

Link to the Joint civil society statement - in The Hindu Op-Ed :
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article3426290.ece
Link to the article - The Hindu Op-Ed :
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article3426292.ece

As the article and the statement explain, many of us have been crying
'Govt takeover' too often and too long... and it is high time we
**_also_** discuss the emperor's robes (sorry for mixed metaphors:-) )

regards
Guru

On 16/05/12 22:11, Sivasubramanian M wrote:
>  India Today, one of the most

respected news magazines in Inda and

>  Headlines Today, its Television channel today criticized

India's

>  current proposal for "web takeover"

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/india-wants-internet-watchdog-proposes-50-nation-regulator-to-un/1/189032.html

The good news is that the press is beginning to pay attention to what
our Government is doing on its own, without due consultation.

http://isocindiachennai.org

>  <http://isocindiachennai.org/>

>  facebook: goo.gl/1VvIG <http://goo.gl/1VvIG>
LinkedIn: