[governance] Stakeholder Participation in the Enhanced Cooperation Meeting in Geneva

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Wed May 9 09:40:48 EDT 2012

On Tuesday 08 May 2012 08:40 PM, michael gurstein wrote:
> It seems to me that the basic issues of Enhanced Cooperation from a CS perspective are twofold:

We, as a set of civil society players, have tried to present concrete
possibilities for both, but with no engagement from the larger CS
involved with IG.

> 	1. what is the normative framework within which EC should take place--my strong suggestion would be that it is that of transparency, accountability, democracy and inclusiveness (and of course there is the WSIS declaration etc. to support this).  And that this should be presented as a declaration and within a framing document.

A framework convention on the Internet was proposed, but found no
traction among the CS actors in IG. Yes, it needs to be informed by the
values that you mention.

> 	2. that having agreed on such a normative framework the question is what is the most appropriate institutional arrangement for achieving these within the context of Internet governance.

UN CIRP proposal has as multistakeholder a structure as OECD's Internet
policy making mechanism (which is the default global Internet policy
making system at present), plus seeking strong linkages with a rather
empowered multistakeholder IGF (India IGF proposal). If something
else/more is needed and possible that it must be spelt out.

Still, we believe that even a CIRP kind of body should be an interim
arrangement, doing stop-gap work, but focussing on the activity of being
the nodal point for developing a suitable framework convention on the
Internet, which 'framework convention' then proposes the right body for
global governance of the global internet, which is fully adequate and
appropriate to the phenomenon, context etc.

If someone has a different/ better roadmap, lets discuss it.

Non engagement with and non-proposal of clear concrete road-maps is
simply an acceptance of the status quo in global Internet governance,
and we think that the staus quo is hugely problematic, involves ever
greater concentration of power, and is thus not acceptable.

parminder