[governance] Stakeholder Participation in the Enhanced Cooperation Meeting in Geneva

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed May 9 03:26:45 EDT 2012

In message <6D6899A1E5984901A2C7561B7A4649BD at UserVAIO>, at 08:10:58 on
Tue, 8 May 2012, michael gurstein <gurstein at gmail.com> writes
>It seems to me that the basic issues of Enhanced Cooperation from a CS perspective are twofold:
>       1. what is the normative framework within which EC should take place--my strong suggestion would be that it is that of transparency,
>accountability, democracy and inclusiveness (and of course there is the WSIS declaration etc. to support this).  And that this should be
>presented as a declaration and within a framing document.
>       2. that having agreed on such a normative framework the question is what is the most appropriate institutional arrangement for achieving
>these within the context of Internet governance.

As far as I can see (but I wasn't in Tunis for WSIS) the process of
Enhanced CoOperation [Tunis 69-71] could be re-stated as :

1) The Capacity Building of Governments, so that they can introduce laws
(but not about day-to-day operations) which are based upon an
understanding the issues, not ignorance of them.

2) Separately, a group of "relevant organisations" should develop public
policy principles applicable to Critical Internet Resources.

You can get an idea of the "relevant organisations" from the reports[1]
which have been previously requested and supplied to the CSTD, and their
existing policy development processes are intended to be "enhanced" to
cover part 2.

The IGF looks like a suitable venue for part 1, and given the list of
Intergovernmental venues already in part 2, what's left are regional
organisations and the UN [eg ECOSOC].

Relevant capacity building can be done by judicious lobbying from well
intentioned bystanders, although not all of the "relevant organisations"
currently embrace "all stakeholders" (even in a "role" of well
intentioned bystander).

[1] #A3: viz ICANN, ITU, W3C CoE, ISOC, OECD, UNESCO, WIPO, NRO, IETF.

<http://unpan1.un.org/intradoc/groups/public/documents/UN-
DPADM/UNPAN039046.pdf>
--
Roland Perry