[governance] ICANN staff member and Stratfor

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Tue Mar 6 09:04:43 EST 2012

Tina

I thought he was on this list. Besides, this is a public issue now not a personal conversation with Veni. The documents are out there and pretty much speak for themselves. These are no longer rumors.

Keep in mind that we are talking about someone who made a big stink about IGP (a group of academics) getting an (open, publicly documented) $75,000 grant from the Ford Foundation to support its public interest work. That amount of money, which (barely) supported the activities of 6 people, contributed priceless amounts of publications, expertise and capacity building to the IGF and GNSO processes. That amount was almost certainly less than the salary he draws from ICANN and who knows what other consulting gigs he managed to wangle in that position. Think of the level of hypocrisy required to do that. These latest revelations only add icing to the cake.

Unfortunately you are recalling the bad old days in which ICANN's well-paid professional staff tended to view civil society and others autonomous actors who actually tried to fulfill the promise of open, multistakeholder policy making as its enemy. I thought ICANN had turned the corner on that. But otherwise your solidarity with a fellow staffer is nice to see. We see where the loyalties lie.