[governance] ICANN staff member and Stratfor

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 16:09:48 EST 2012

A number of feelings and questions arise about these kinds of incidents
(more exploratory than anything else):

Is this just a case of a few bad apples, ala phone tapping under Bush,
Abu Ghraib war-porn, etc?

While I do not agree with all of Zizek, what he said on Wikileaks in
general is, it is not like we did not know, but now we can no longer
pretend. Or not. As Hegel said, civil society is an ugly place.

Perhaps one cannot help feeling rather naive in participating in civil
society processes (maybe this makes for true and necessary idealism).
Especially when there is such an intimate association between certain
government & corporation interests duly reflected in civil society as
well. While other important public interest voices are (by and large)
kept at a low intensity democracy distance like Alfonso, Parminder,
Gurstein or Auerbach etc (not uninfluential, but merely my estimate in
terms of outcomes).

Other concerns then do arise about civil society players who made common
cause with such views. Discerning who is what is quite difficult as
there are many many well meaning individuals and organisations who
recognise the threats and seek to limit the egregious excesses of the
system and need to maintain "credibility" for their reform efforts.

This is an ugly business indeed and it is great that many in this
community seen it for what it is.