[governance] Oversight, was [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Jun 28 09:31:51 EDT 2012

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 9:22 AM, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> wrote:
> McTIm
>
>  The FBI-DEA-IPv6 issue was only one example of possible public policy
> issues. We saw others with regard to the earlier discussion on delegation of
> cctlds. Issues of competition policies, FoE, IP, security concerns..... are
> all  public policy issues. Tunis agenda asked for "development of
> globally-applicable principles on public policy issues associated with the
> coordination and management of critical Internet resources". There are no
> such principles at present

There are.  BUTOC is my acronym for these principles.

 other than what is largely, consciously and
> directly or unconsciously and indirectly, imported from the US political and
> governance system.

No, these are from the Internet community, radically different form US
political and governance system, in place for nearly 4 decades and
working rather well IMHO.

 Even greater perhaps is the 'unprincipled' (pun intended)
> narrow interests based influence of US business and gov.

Which rarely come into play in a BUTOC-y world, but YMMV.

--
Cheers,

McTim