[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

Dominique Lacroix dl at panamo.eu
Tue Jun 26 11:15:07 EDT 2012

Sorry for the ellipsis, David. The .IQ/Elashi brothers case is simply
showing, imho, that as we can observe diverse laws in diverse countries.
Elashi brothers didn't kill anyone, as one can read it in the /Federal
Register/. Nevertheless, they are in jail for their life.
They sold hardware (PC and memory) to Malta, and the Maltese client
delivered the goods to Syria and Lybia, that was forbidden by the
American law. And they financed Palestinian schools and hospitals via a
charity organisation that is blacklisted by the US.

I didn't wish to discuss here the Elashi's case, a painful and
complicate story.
Without needing to study deeply the legal case, you could imagine that
some countries do NOT distribute "terrorist" labels in the same way as
the US do, even to the Hamas. The charity organization /Holy Land
Foundation for Relief and Development /is not blacklisted as a terrorist
organization in all countries, even Western countries. And PC export is
not so tightly regulated in all countries as in the US.
Criminal here, innocent there. Even heroes...

In our scope, the case shows that DNS architecture is also a very
political game.
Countries at war often adopt some special acts that violate civil rights
and basic freedom. Can we built a worldwide consensus about Internet
based upon such special laws?

By the way, I assume that communications in Iraq must not be very easy
during the 1997-2002. Launching the .iq was certainely not as funny as
the "big thing"...

@+, kind regards, Dominique

--
Dominique Lacroix