[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Mon Jun 25 17:40:42 EDT 2012

Dominique,

On Jun 25, 2012, at 10:53 AM, Dominique Lacroix wrote:
> Le 25/06/12 19:59, David Conrad a écrit :
>> Out of curiosity, why do you believe ICANN (or the USG) "suspended" the .iq domain?  My understanding (again, before my time at ICANN so I may be misinformed) was that the folks Postel delegated the domain to didn't do anything with it and got in trouble for violating US law when living in the US.
> Here we are!  Elashi "violated the US law". As if US law was the world law!

They were living in the US (Texas, as I understand it).  I'm assuming they did not have diplomatic immunity.  Are you saying non-diplomats living in the US are not subject to US law because they created a commercial company that happened to convince Jon Postel in 1997 that they could provide ccTLD services for Iraq?

> But Elashi bross could not have been convicted in a lot of "clean" countries such as UK or Australia.

Not knowing the laws of either the UK or Australia, I can't comment.

> And even in the States, CS rights organizations fight for Elashi freedom!

If you say so. Not being a lawyer, knowing the details of the case, or knowing CS rights organizations or the justification they're using to argue for the Elashi brothers, I can't comment.

> That's exactly why the root must not be ruled by only one country.

I'm sorry, not following the logic here.  While I might agree that "oversight" (for some value of that variable) should not be performed by a single country, I don't see how the .IQ/Elashi brothers case argues for it.  But I guess that's just me.

Regards,
-drc