[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 22 00:36:26 EDT 2012

On Wednesday 20 June 2012 09:57 PM, David Conrad wrote:
> Parminder,
>
> On Jun 19, 2012, at 11:25 PM, parminder wrote:
>
> SNIP
>
>> But even if we were to agree to what you argue, why would the same safe-guards not operate in case of a international oversight mechanism?
>>

> They probably would, but hard to say for certain without a concrete example of said "international oversight mechanism". Can you point me at one?

The 'international oversight mechanism' for Internet's critical
technical resources has to developed contextually, in a manner best
appropriate to the purpose. While ensuring general public interest
compliance, It has to specifically safeguard and strengthen (1) loose
open ended consensus-oriented bottom up processes for tech standards
development, (2) new open and bottom up participation models that are
being built in the IG space.  I have proposed some outlines of such a
possible model and I you want I can re state it.

The needs IG are unique in many ways, especially with regard to its
inherent globalness, and also in the challenge that it poses to statist
powers and status quo. Therefore any existing model of international
oversight may not be best to just cut paste to the new situation. This
said, we have international oversight structures with regard to war
crimes, some softer ones for human right abuses..... I am sure that
there are more specific ones in technical spaces like marine traffic,
global meteorology etc.... the world is trying to develop some for
compliance to possible global climate change related policies....

parminder