[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Jun 24 16:46:32 EDT 2012

Parminder,

On Jun 21, 2012, at 6:36 PM, parminder wrote:
>>> But even if we were to agree to what you argue, why would the same safe-guards not operate in case of a international oversight mechanism?
>> They probably would, but hard to say for certain without a concrete example of said "international oversight mechanism". Can you point me at one?
> I have proposed some outlines of such a possible model and I you want I can re state it.

I was actually looking for a concrete (ideally peer-reviewed) proposal or, more preferably, an operational example or prototype, not an outline of lofty goals or possible models.  Does such exist?

I'll admit I'm still not clear what you believe the "international oversight mechanism" should do. You've been talking about how the evil USG will trample the contents of the root zone.  Presumably, the "international oversight mechanism" will be overseeing the operations of root zone modification as the USG does today. Since those operations must be based in some country, it isn't clear to me how the "international oversight mechanism" would be able to stop that country's government from going rogue and doing what you believe the evil USG will do.

Regards,
-drc