[governance] [liberationtech] Chinese preparing for a "Autonomous Internet" ?

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Sun Jun 24 17:09:04 EDT 2012

Parminder,

On Jun 21, 2012, at 6:25 PM, parminder wrote:
>> Actually, what I have argued ("again and again") is that there is no unilateral action in root zone management.  I stand by that argument and challenge you to provide _fact based_ counter-argument, not hypotheticals.
> I think we had cleared this level long back in our argument that we are *not* any longer discussing the 'technical possibility' of the root server operators not publishing the authoritative root zone file but the 'socio-political' likelihood that they would in fact do such a thing.

I am, of course, speaking of "socio-poltical likelihoods" -- it is obvious that technically, the root server operators can do whatever they like.  Presumably, you would agree that the "socio-political" ramifications to the USG of inappropriately modifying the root zone would be severe -- the USG would be undermining everything ICANN was established (by them) to do. I would argue that the "socio-political" ramifications to the root server operators of blindly re-publishing that inappropriately modified root zone would also be severe, albeit in the opposite direction -- the root server operators would be knowingly publishing bad (with respect to the global Internet) data which would greatly impact the trust the Internet technical community and others places in them. Given the negative repercussions your hypothetical actions would cause, I maintain that it is far more likely that the root server operators would refuse to publish known bad data that it would be for the USG to force its creation.  However, I gather that your mind is made on this particular topic so continued debate is likely unproductive.

> Stephanie

BTW, that's Stephane, not Stephanie :-).

> I repeat, I dont think such 'breaking free' is likely and therefore the so called current distributed root server architecture *does not* provide us protection against likely improper interference of the US with the root.

IIRC, at least two root server operators (one US-based, one Europe-based) have stated in essence that they believe they provide the last line of defense to ICANN (and by implication, the USG) running amok so your argument about whether they would "break free" would be with them.

Regards,
-drc