[governance] BBC: May setting out plans to monitor internet use in UK

Milton L Mueller mueller at syr.edu
Fri Jun 15 15:06:37 EDT 2012

[Milton L Mueller] It  is my understanding that Member states can take reservations against anything they object to.

> I know that you and the NYT have told me I need have no concern, but for
> now I just don't see it that way.

[Milton L Mueller] I am getting tired of this game. No one said there was no need for concern. ISOC and the USG are now paying the price for exaggerating and distorting the real concerns. What people are saying is that fears of a concerted and systematic takeover of all of Internet governance by the ITU are being exaggerated, and the idea that the WCIT is fundamentally about censorship and taking control of Internet governance generally and CIRs specifically, are simply wrong. Read my entire blog series if you want to see what I think the real concerns are. And as many people are now saying, it can be dangerous to exaggerate the fears and to misidentify the real concerns. If you go into WCIT all ginned up about protocols and it's really about charging mechanisms that you don't understand, you are going to be ineffective.