[governance] BBC: May setting out plans to monitor internet use in UK

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jun 15 02:48:26 EDT 2012

I agree that there is much that could happen at the ITU which poses
danger to the Internet as we know. And we need to be careful, vigilant
and active. I also agree with Avri's hierarchy of concerns, in this regard.

What I dont like is

(1) One sidedness of the hugely dominant discourse that can rent all
public spaces and avenues to cry hoarse over the minutest, actual or
imagined, activity that hurts the nicely settled status quo, which is
largely a Northern take on things, while it so completely ignores or
pooh poohs real and legitimate concerns of many actors from the South,
vis a vis the status quo. This onesidedness is the problem

(2) A somewhat related onesided-ness of the hugely dominant and shrill
discourse vis a vis the claimed gov-control and civil-political human
rights issues, and complete ignoring of the very real dangers of
corporate control and economic and social rights issues. For instance,
everyone seems to be happily ignoring the fact that the recently
released background brief on WCIT has the following as perhaps the only
para describing a substantive issue

        "Meanwhile, some companies offer web-based services that are
    growing in popularity, but which use increasing amounts of network
    capacity without necessarily generating larger revenues for the
    companies that provide the infrastructure. The market is evolving
    fast, just as demand is booming worldwide. How is new infrastructure
    to be expanded to cope with demand (especially in developing
    countries), and who should pay for its expansion and its use?"

A solid global network neutrality related alarm bell if they ever could
be one. Also shows the domination of telecom firms over ITU and how this
could be a such big problem - destroying the basis of the Internet as we
know.

Other substantive issue that is mentioned is a right to communicate,
something I look to with much positive anticipation. Again, it is the
hegemony of certain powers and their discourse that even a 'rights based
framing' gets exclusively seen in suspicious terms, completely ignoring
its good potential. I do think that the ICT space should be constructed
from a rights based perspective, and a right to communicate is a solid
basis to start such a construction.

parminder