[governance] "Oversight"

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Thu Jun 7 03:20:18 EDT 2012

Dear Norbert, dear all,

On Thursday, June 7, 2012, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:

> Indeed. Well the level of interest is at least high enough that not
> long ago, an official of the European Commission asked on this list
> (if I understood him right) about whether it would be possible to
> decentralize the root signing function across several countries. To
> that I replied that yes, it would be possible in principle, but it
> would require modification of DNSSEC. John pointed out that the
> required engineering work could be difficult in view of potential
> problems related to datagram size.

I believe you are referring to me (I don't think there are so many other
officials of the European Commission writing on this list :)

(As I wrote many times and as it is clearly indicated in the .signature of
my emails, when I write here, unless I specifically say otherwise, I am
expressing personal positions, not the positions of the EU Commission. This
is very important for everyone to clearly understand, otherwise my ability
to engage in conversations will be severely limited. But maybe this would
not be a problem :).

On the specific point you mention, I referred to the possibility for
multiple countries to have a formal role in the process of modifying the
root zone. DNSSEC signing is an element of that but, for reasons
highlighted by others, not necessarily the most important one.

Let me also point out that, whether the CS and technical "communities" find
it stupid or not, politics (national and international) are characterized
by a high degree of symbolism and theater play. That's not all there is to
it of course, but sometimes process modifications that a techie may
consider irrelevant can have a huge impact in appeasing public authorities.
I know this is not necessarily a priority for everyone, although in terms
of real-politik I would suggest it should.

> If the level of interest is as great as Parminder asserts, this
> information should indeed result in significant resources getting
> allocated to that engineering work. I personally will be surprised
> if this happens anytime soon (my impression is that the level of
> interest is more on a "nice to have" / "this is something that we
> rant about if the feature is not there, but we're not willing to
> pay for the cost of getting it" level) but we'll

I am not clear whether you are suggesting that public authorities should
allocate resources here.

Best,

Andrea

I speak only for myself. Sometimes I do not even agree with myself. Keep it
in mind.
Twitter: @andreaglorioso
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/andrea.glorioso
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=1749288&trk=tab_pro