[governance] "Oversight"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Jun 7 01:38:13 EDT 2012

David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> wrote:
> If this matter actually is of "utmost importance to people and
> countries outside the US", then there will be a _huge_ community
> that will define the standards and various folks who implement the
> standards will fall over themselves to get product out to that
> community.

Indeed. Well the level of interest is at least high enough that not
long ago, an official of the European Commission asked on this list
(if I understood him right) about whether it would be possible to
decentralize the root signing function across several countries. To
that I replied that yes, it would be possible in principle, but it
would require modification of DNSSEC. John pointed out that the
required engineering work could be difficult in view of potential
problems related to datagram size.

If the level of interest is as great as Parminder asserts, this
information should indeed result in significant resources getting
allocated to that engineering work. I personally will be surprised
if this happens anytime soon (my impression is that the level of
interest is more on a "nice to have" / "this is something that we
rant about if the feature is not there, but we're not willing to
pay for the cost of getting it" level) but we'll see.

Greetings,
Norbert