[governance] "Oversight"

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Jun 8 03:46:10 EDT 2012

Hi Andrea and all

Andrea Glorioso <andrea at digitalpolicy.it> wrote:
> On Thursday, June 7, 2012, Norbert Bollow <nb at bollow.ch> wrote:
> > Indeed. Well the level of interest is at least high enough that not
> > long ago, an official of the European Commission asked on this list
> > (if I understood him right) about whether it would be possible to
> > decentralize the root signing function across several countries. To
> > that I replied that yes, it would be possible in principle, but it
> > would require modification of DNSSEC. John pointed out that the
> > required engineering work could be difficult in view of potential
> > problems related to datagram size.
>
> I believe you are referring to me (I don't think there are so many other
> officials of the European Commission writing on this list :)

Yes I was, although there are two inaccuracies in how I referred to
conversation partners in the above quoted paragraph. I would like to
hereby apologize for those inaccuracies and correct them.

The first inaccuracy is that as a matter of fact, what I replied to
was not (as I somewhat confused in my recollection) directly the
question that Andrea had asked, but rather the set of thoughts created
in my mind by his words together with a point that John had made in
response:

Quoting John Curran's email of Mon, 4 Jun 2012 08:36:38 -0700: