[governance] Our internet is at risk

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Mon Jun 4 10:52:10 EDT 2012

Hi

I figure they are going for as much oversight control as they can get.
The WSIS was the attempt to strip ICANN wholesale of it responsibilities.

Since then they have also been chipping away at things, from claims on IPv6 Addressing to change control of IETF protocols.

In WCIT I expect for another push for an oversight model over ICANN, IETF and anything else they can get the requisite number of governments to support.

And yes, you are right they will try to get control of any issue they think isn't being covered propoerly, even if they need to fabricate the arguments for the need for such control

Basically I think ITU will do anything they can to get control of anything they can, and WCIT is the next battleground in a very long war of attrition.  they want it call, but will grab whatever they can.  The ITU is forever and they can wait.

avri