[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Fri Jun 1 03:41:42 EDT 2012

On 31.05.12 09:13, parminder wrote:

> 1) Facebook, and similar global social utilities, get completely
> territorialised, serving each country a version that is specific to
> the laws and customs of that country

Unfortunately, the process by which this happens is severely flawed and
therefore unacceptable.
You either provide an unfiltered media, or you are not -- in which case
there will be someone else to offer it unfiltered, at least for a while.

> 2) We go by a global least denominator for the whole world (which as
> you argue is not acceptable)

There is no such. The global least denominator is: Shutdown Internet
But, it is too late for this now. Everyone, including those "government
regulators" want the Internet. Governments want the Internet, because
they are elected from time to time. Any political party that insists on
shutting down or filtering Internet is not going to be elected in the
Government (so yes, politicians too make *commercial* decisions)
Currently, those politicians resort to lying. They promise free and
unrestricted Internet, yet they go on and sign ACTA... oops. Lost trust.
Somebody else will win the next elections.

> 3) we leave things to private regulation, the will of the monopoly
> companies almost entirely determined by maximum profit motive

There is no such thing, as private and public regulation. Those are
political terms. Anything that does not agree with the "powers that be"
is labeled "private" and "not in the public interests". Same old story...

There is no political system, that can work with the Internet. The only
applicable law is the "common sense" law -- that every human being on
this planet knows unconditionally. Unfortunately, this means global
conflict. Big global conflict.

> In default, to me, our best political option is to seek an appropriate
> national-global political system for the Internet, and keep struggling
> for better and better avenues for civil society participation, while
> warding off possible attempts at using the same avenues for even
> greater corporate influence on Internet related policies.
>
> As for global political systems necessarily producing lowest
> denominator outcome, this is not true. Also such an argument can be
> used against any political system and thus in its essence is simply an
> 'anti-political' argument. However, ad hoc, one-off, arrangements and
> agreements among governments are more likely to produce such lowest
> denomination like bad results. More open, insitutionalised political
> processes generally tend to produce better results, and that is what
> is being sought in our call for democratising global IG.

One of the things Internet changed, as communication infrastructure was
the removal of the bilateral or multi-lateral agreements between all
participating parties. Once you are connected, you can communicate with
all others.
It is like once a new human is born, it can communicate with the rest of
the society. If they develop good behavior, they get more respected. if
they develop bad behavior, they get refused. This is how the human
society naturally self-regulates.
Laws... is the thing that artificially distort this self-regulation in
one way or another. Yet, the human society self-regulation remains
functional (with or without laws).

By the way, if you are inclined to label me as "neo liberal" (or
whatever) or as someone against laws, you would be wrong. I won't argue
anyway :)

Daniel