[governance] Facebook profiles blocked and content removed in Brazil

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Fri Jun 1 03:26:36 EDT 2012

On 31.05.12 09:52, Roland Perry wrote:
> I refer you to Janet Jackson's "wardrobe malfunction" although the
> jury is still out in the USA regarding the acceptability of the word
> "Nigger" (although I wouldn't use the word myself other than in a
> context such as this).

This was actually my first "American culture shock", while visiting the
US for the first time, and it happened during the riots in 1992, I was
warned by my friends to never, ever use this word.

Such a huge surprise for me at the time, because this is *the* word to
use for anyone with black skin in my country (at that time, at least).
Since there weren't that many people with black skin in Bulgaria at the
time, the normal reaction of everyone, anyone would be "look, nigger".
Those who lived in Bulgaria, the people with black skin had accepted
this language and cultural difference and didn't get offended, at all.

This is, by the way an good example of how most people are incompatible
with Internet.
The Internet spans distances and cultures and virtually any barrier.
Most of today's laws in about every country make the assumption they
(the laws) are operating in an very well isolated environment. Yet,
about everyone in that particular country wants and uses the Internet
--- where they are exposed to 'laws' that they have no clue about.

Another cultural shock with the US was when I traveled shortly after my
baby was born. A friend's advice "make sure you have no pictures of your
baby naked with you, or you may get arrested in the US". Good friends!!!
Of course, anyone in my country would carry few naked pictures of their
newborns, after all, those are supposed to be photographed naked and
shown to all your friends! :)

Interesting times we live in... I hope the war won't be too damaging to
humanity.

Daniel