[governance] IGF initiatives organizational principles - now on IGF Website

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Jul 25 03:48:16 EDT 2012

In message <500E592E.8020105 at itforchange.net>, at 13:43:34 on Tue, 24
Jul 2012, parminder <parminder at itforchange.net> writes
>Izumi,
>
>when you say ' draft out of a short meeting taken place during the IGF
>Open Consultation in May' , do you mean a meeting of the MAG?
>What is listed is too simple and straight forward a set of guidelines,
>more to enable some administrative procedure of listing initiatives on
>the IGF website rather what would/ should be people's expectations for
>something that can be called a national or regional IGF, as we all have
>from the global IGF.
>
>And, also the point is, do you agree these as sufficient conditions and
>characteristics for a national/ regional IGF? That is the point. Why do
>we have such comprehensive expectations from the global IGF and nothing
>from what can be called as national/ regional IGF.

A further complication is that a national/regional IGF might not
completely free-standing.

In the UK, the "UK-IGF" consists of breakout workshops sessions at other
events (such as Nominet's Policy Forum, and the "Parliament and
Internet" conference).

While this is organisationally efficient, it's not clear if "National
IGF rules" would have to apply to the whole day's proceedings, or just
the breakout sessions! In particular, I don't think it's possible to
register for just the breakout sessions, and due to venue size
considerations, attendance at the full events above is always
oversubscribed.

What we don't want is anything that would discourage the holding of the
workshops at all.
--
Roland Perry