[governance] Landmark decision by ITU Council on proposal for public consultation and open access

Dr. Alejandro Pisanty Baruch apisan at unam.mx
Sat Jul 14 10:52:50 EDT 2012

Michael,

thanks for picking up this idea. I have no objection to using the Open Government Partnership standards but do have a couple reasons to prefer the ICANN ATRT (or other related) ones:

1. the IGC professes to have intimate knowledge of all that is wrong with ICANN from innumerable angles. That deep knowledge would serve well as a tool to investigate the ITU's recent announcement and its materialization;

2. ICANN - warts and all - has gone through a lot more development, including several reforms and many evaluations, while OGP is still largely untested;

3. ICANN seems more relevant as a comparison since it deals with Internet-only issues, and makes decisions that are binding among its players. The OGP seems to be a bit more loose in this second respect.

There is a simple structure in which you set up a list of organizations you want to compare and a set of criteria like democracy, participants' impact on decisions, procedures, access to documents, access to discussions, and mechanisms for review and redress of decisions. You get a table with 5-7 columns and as many lines as organizations you include. You evaluate in successive iterations of increased refinement so you always have something usable in hand.

Several different groups and approaches may start independently and compare notes. And as you say, a few graduate theses get written if you wish.

Yours,

Alejandro Pisanty

! !! !!! !!!!
NEW PHONE NUMBER - NUEVO NÚMERO DE TELÉFONO

+52-1-5541444475 FROM ABROAD

+525541444475 DESDE MÉXICO

SMS +525541444475
     Dr. Alejandro Pisanty
UNAM, Av. Universidad 3000, 04510 Mexico DF Mexico

Blog: http://pisanty.blogspot.com
Unete al grupo UNAM en LinkedIn, http://www.linkedin.com/e/gis/22285/4A106C0C8614
Twitter: http://twitter.com/apisanty
---->> Unete a ISOC Mexico, http://www.isoc.org