[governance] ECTF - initial draft proposal online

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Wed Jul 11 14:55:20 EDT 2012

Avri Doria <avri at ella.com> wrote:
> I will be curious to see how this goes.  Do you expect any conversation in
> Vancouver? A bar BoF?

Perhaps unfortunately I missed the deadline for I-D submission for
consideration in Vancouver, and I've also not made any plans nor
arranged for funding for going to Vancouver myself. Alas the next
IETF after this, in Atlanta GA in November, clashes with the Baku
IGF. So it seems to me that realistically, the first opportunities
when I might try to create a conversation about the ECTF idea in an
IETF context would be in Orlando in March 2013 and/or in Berlin in
July 2013.

Actually I think that it makes sense to seriously start the
conversations about the ECTF idea not primarily in the IETF context
but first in the context of the 2012 IGF (and preparatory / pre-events
in that context), and only proceed to raise it in IETF contexts after
the proposal has been updated to reflect what I will learn from the
feedback that I can get in Baku.

> Note: IETF is also hosting non-WG mailing lists, so perhaps if you
> see an interest in the IETF environment you can talk to the ADs
> about getting one of those going.

Do you see a benefit of taking that path, instead of e.g. hosting a
list myself at enhanced-cooperation.org? (As we have seen, the step
that I've taken in putting my proposal in the form of an I-D already
comes with the risk of being misunderstood as proposing to expand the
authority of the IETF. My feeling that in addition using an IETF-hosted
mailing list would likely increase this problem more than I could
justify.)

> I will also be curious as to how the IAB and ISOC respond to the
> draft.

Me also.

> They could take up the call and say something.

Yes, that would be nice. Although at the current stage, when the main
goal must be to convince some governments to support the idea, I'm
not sure how much an endorsement from IAB and/or ISOC would help.

> On a related note, in
> <http://www.internetsociety.org/blog/2012/07/internet-governance-what-enhanced-cooperation>
>
> "
> We agreed with the Association of Progressive Communication (APC)
> and ICC-BASIS to organize a one-day pre-event back-to-back with the
> IGF in Baku on 5 November 2012. We also approached the previous
> developing country IGF Hosts and have received positive answers from
> Brazil, Egypt and Kenya to participate in this event. I announced
> this initiative on a panel on the Internet governance landscape at
> the ICANN meeting in Prague on 25 June.
> "

I'm aware of this, and hope to get invited. :-)

> In your draft you suggest:
>
> "
> The work of this Preparatory Working-Group could begin with an in-
>    person kick-off meeting which might be a one-day pre-event for the
>    2013 Internet Governance Forum.
> "

Note the reference to the year 2013 there.

> As I understand it, the pre-event day is shaping up to have several
> choices. so far I now of possible plans: the high level ministerial,
> ISOC, Giganet, the EC event Markus mentioned in the blog and the
> ECTF preparatory.  I expect all of these may have some discussion of
> EC.  Should be a good day for furthering EC in an IGF context,
> though I hope the various efforts find way to share some of the
> common topics so that we are not torn as to which to attend.

While I feel honored that you list the ECTF preparatory meeting among
your possible plans, I don't see this as taking place before next
year. For Baku, I think the goal must be to have good conversations
among all who see a need for some form of implementation of Enhanced
Cooperation.

Greetings,
Norbert