[governance] WTPF May 2013

Sérgio Alves Jr. sergioalvesjunior at gmail.com
Tue Jul 10 14:46:16 EDT 2012

Dear Parminder,

Thank you for considering my posts.

I can say it is not only Brazil who has been trying to make ITU’s processes
more transparent. In the case of WCIT, the United Arab Emirates themselves
proposed to ITU Council last week the open access to the conference’s
documents. I believe this move wouldn’t happen without civil society and
media’s lobby, but the goal might be achieved, anyway. (One can argue on
the interests of UAE in doing so, but it is hard to deny the efficacy of
the host being the sponsor of this proposal.)

The rationale behind Brazil defending free access to ITU material (much
broader than WCIT docs) is also expressed here:
http://economialegal.wordpress.com/2012/05/07/1952/. Japan, Sweden, US and
many other countries seem to share similar opinions, but with different
perspectives.

First of all, it is important to clarify that I work for Anatel (the
Brazilian telecom regulator), a frequent stakeholder at the ITU who is not
usually present at WSIS fora, IGF, ICANN, CSTD, UNGA, OECD and others.

If you’ve gone through the original Brazilian contribution
(WTPF-IEG/1/4<http://www.itu.int/md/S12-WTPF13PREP-C-0009/en>
), you might have noticed that we referred to some of Kurbalija’s material.
In particular, I have cited his views of a “narrow” vs “broad” approach to
IG. If one considers his several IG baskets, we could say that the ITU has
been working on IG issues for quite some time (if not, since the Union’s
creation).

Our idea is to organize this IG debate within the ITU, and the
establishment of its own principles would be a good way to start. Like
CGI.br, others have been this have been doing this (
http://igcaucus.org/links), so it shouldn’t be extremely hard to find
reliable sources for the job.

When we (Brazil) wrote this contribution, we did not think of the ITU as
the place to decide on global Internet related public policies global nor
on “enhanced cooperation”. In fact, there wasn’t a text for the Secretary
General WTPF Report yet. We didn’t discuss DNS management, scarce
resources, numbering allocation nor any specific IG issue. We just thought
of a way of making the process more transparent, considering all the
misinformation we could find about ITU’s goals on the IG. Why not to make
it clear? Considering that the WTPF will count on public attendance, it
could be a useful environment. It is not a perfect solution because the
public might not have the right to speak (since this is a decision from the
2010 Plenipotentiary Conference, it is hard to expect any change now).

FYI, Sweden has been very active on the first meeting of CWG-Internet and
raised strong proposals in favor of “open consultations” with external
stakeholders. They propose that the open consultations do take place with
the physical presence of the stakeholders. Brazil and many others have
supported this idea, but it is uncertain to happen at the group’s second
meeting.

As I mentioned, Brazil doesn’t see the CWG-Internet nor the ITU as the
space for “enhanced cooperation” at this moment. We haven’t discussed
internally whether CWG would compete with a UN CIRP or any other body.
Anyway, I cannot guarantee these concerns will not be brought by other
countries.

I guess you’re right in your statements. And that is why I keep on arguing
with my national folks that that ignoring the ITU within the broader IG
debate is wrong. Denying its existence or technical and political influence
will leads us to uninformed decisions and an incomplete view of the global
negotiation scenario. In Brazil, we have been closer (then) and farther
(now) from the ITU on IG, and that might be the reason why we haven’t
discussed the possibility of taking the CWG as the target of “enhanced
cooperation”. From my perspective, some Brazilian relevant stakeholders
strongly oppose to the ITU at any Internet process on principle, and I
believe this is a naïve standpoint.

Anyway, the CWG is still on its birth, with a long list of possible issues
to approach. The most important question is deciding upon the “open
consultation” process and the modality of external stakeholders inputs. I
have just been informed that Council decided that the CWG will hold online
consultations for all stakeholders only, instead of physical meetings.

Once again I thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Abraços,

Sérgio