[governance] fukushima disaster report

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Jul 8 10:48:02 EDT 2012

The Fukushima nuclear accident investigation report called the it a
'profoundly man-made disaster'. It put a lot of blame on regulatory capture.

To quote a newspaper report  (
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/op-ed/article3610518.ece )

The investigation commission's report " explains the disaster in terms
of “regulatory capture” — that is, that the relationship between the
regulators and the regulated was much too close, enabling the regulated
to subject the regulators to undue pressure and influence."

  CIR management, especially vis a vis oversight issues, came to my mind
as I read this. Those who have rooted for the current AoC based review
mechanisms as *the* oversight system may especially take note.  This
report shows the need and the role of independent and outside oversight
systems for critical technical infrastructures.

  parminder