[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Hakikur Rahman email at hakik.org
Tue Jan 10 08:52:35 EST 2012

At 01:35 PM 1/10/2012, Avri Doria wrote:
>A point I do want to make is that the submarine cables were not
>meant for just the purposes of access in the coastal countries but
>where meant to provide sufficient access for all of the populations
>in the developing economies inside the continent and away from the
>coast.  Yes there are issues about transit and dark cable that need
>to be dealt with, that have not yet been dealt with adequately, but
>the point is Kenya's and other coastal countries use of bandwidth,
>whether your estimate are correct or not, was not the full load
>intended for these cables.

Agree with Avri. There are critical issues at the ground or national
level, including corporate or regional level, though the former ones
rule, partly due to policies, and also due to other local
manifestations, especially in many developing countries they are not
being utilized properly as desired.

Hakik

     governance at lists.cpsr.org