[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Tue Jan 10 08:35:24 EST 2012

Hi,

A subject I will mostly avoid, at least for the moment is the contest about which rights are most important and whether the availability of information infrastructure and access to knowledge is critical in the alleviation of other issues by allowing access to the information on how to overcome issues of food production, water purification and the avoidance of disease.  I see this as one of those 'dancing angels on the head of a pin' issues and beleive that all rights need to be provided for, without allowing predators to take advantage of disadvantaged populations.

A point I do want to make is that the submarine cables were not meant for just the purposes of access in the coastal countries but where meant to provide sufficient access for all of the populations in the developing economies inside the continent and away from the coast.  Yes there are issues about transit and dark cable that need to be dealt with, that have not yet been dealt with adequately, but the point is Kenya's and other coastal countries use of bandwidth, whether your estimate are correct or not, was not the full load intended for these cables.

avri

     governance at lists.cpsr.org