[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 09:14:07 EST 2012

To avoid the angels on pins, the point is that prioritisation (or
allocative decisions) are typically left to legislatures (executives) as
these are difficult decisions. But context matters, it is not a problem
for a Finland to put a positive right to access, which may not come to
similar fruition in Africa where it could be a negative defensive one
(i.e. the state cannot impede access, while not having a positive duty
to provide it to all) while conducting itself to progressively realise
this right. The point is that there are human rights that can protect
both the Finland and African context needs, and one can surmise that a
positive right in Finland would lend credence to existence of the
negative defensive right or to a higher standard of protection. But
rights are framed in general terms and the specfics would need to be
codified in law or practice or policy as this balance is perenially
contested (positive and negative). The point is that like one does not
want Africans cut off from water services if they cannot pay (without
due process) the same may apply in rich countries.

There is a tendency to assume that Universal Human Rights are not
context specific, and this tendency gives rise to one size fits all
approaches and to universalisation of abstractions that (in fact) do
violence to difference. In the European context, there is the concept of
margin of appreciation... what confounds matters is the predilection to
assume that human rights are liberal rights and hence must come with the
same economic baggage... and in many instances this is not apposite...

     governance at lists.cpsr.org