[governance] NYT opinion by Vint Cerf: Internet Access is not a HR

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Jan 6 06:13:23 EST 2012

In message <BAY163-W197913CE58BFF3C0518082FF940 at phx.gbl>, at 00:42:06 on
Fri, 6 Jan 2012, Yrjö Länsipuro <yrjo_lansipuro at hotmail.com> writes
>Roland mentions internet access in jails.  It is now tried out in
> Finland in three minimum security prisons and will be extended to all
>(14) soon, not as a right but as a means to help people serving their
>sentences to study, to seek employment and to generally to prepare for
>life after prison.

And that sounds like a very good thing to do, but I expect it's not the
"uncensored and unmonitored" Internet access that most people wish for.

>I agree with Avri that the most valuable point of the op-end is at the
>end: technologists should focus on creating rights-enabling
>technologies instead of rights-disabling ones.

This is also something highly desirable, and don't let us forget that as
well as being protected from the viruses and worms, we should be
protected from the *effects* of those viruses and worms - including
destruction of data, identity and monetary theft, scams and invasions of
our privacy. Technology can help give that protection.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org