[governance] Blogpost: Gmail Hell Day 4: Dealing with the Borg (Or "Being Evil" Without Really Thinking About It

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 03:31:18 EST 2012

Hi Adam and all,

-----Original Message-----
From: apeake at gmail.com [mailto:apeake at gmail.com] On Behalf Of Adam Peake
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 2:41 AM
To: governance at lists.igcaucus.org
Subject: Re: Re: [governance] Blogpost: Gmail Hell Day 4: Dealing with the
Borg (Or “Being Evil” Without Really Thinking About It

Infuriating.  And having had a bit of email hell recently (that's forced me
to use gmail not to escape from it) I get your angst.

YES...

But, part of your blog you says

"According to the Google search I just did some 720,341,564 people use gmail
all over the world."

and,

"Why for example, gmail/Google hasn’t spent the money to set up an
Ombudsperson service with an email that someone actually reads and answers
is something that would, if Google were as I mentioned selling milk or
mining coal, be something that legislatures would be compelling them to do
"

Think the answer is in the business model (it's the "cost of free", you
might get this program for your classes

GMAIL MAY BE "FREE" BUT AS YOU KNOW, MOST CERTAINLY ISN'T FREE... I THINK IT
IS JUST SIGNIFCANTLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE...

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qx4vy>) and number you found
720,341,564; it's not possible to provide customer service to 720,341,564
people.  Is it?

I'M NOT SURE WHY NOT... THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO GET
COMPANIES TO ADJUST THEIR BEHAVIOUR TO FOLLOW CONSUMER PROTECTION LAWS FOR
MARKETS OF A BILLION OR SO PEOPLE... THEY MAY BE A BIT DRASTIC BUT MY GUESS
IS THAT ONE OR TWO SUMMARY TRIALS, SENTENCES AND ENFORCEMENT OF PENALTIES
WOULD WORK EQUALLY WELL WITH THE FOLKS AT GOOGLE OR WHEREVER... WHAT IS
THEIR MONTHLY PROFIT, A $BILLION +... THAT BUYS AN AWFUL LOT OF FOLKS
ANSWERING TELEPHONES AT $10/HR.

And you can also try gmail-support at google.com

I DID, AND AFTER 8 6 DAYS AND 9 EMAILS AND A REASONABLY WIDELY NOTED
BLOGPOST, I FINALLY DID GET A RESPONSE..

Adam