[governance] Blogpost: Gmail Hell Day 4: Dealing with the Borg (Or “Being Evil” Without Really Thinking About It

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Feb 28 09:48:25 EST 2012

Disclaimer: I never ever use gmail, because in my opinion this is one of
the stupidest thing a person can go. But then, I am able to run any
number of my very own mail servers and this is apparently not like
everyone else.

On 28.02.12 14:50, Norbert Bollow wrote:
> a) The problem could be addressed by empowering end users to switch
> email service providers without changing their email addresses. I
> suggested that CCTLD operators would be able to make a category of
> inexpensive third-level domain names available for this.

(with my ccTLD manager hat on)

Having your very own domain name is not a luxury or difficult task for
years, already. It is still very difficult to persuade people to go this
route. People just don't get it. On the positive side, the number of
domain names registered for that very purpose is rising.

You don't have to use an ccTLD for this. Nevertheless, a number of
ccTLDs have introduced, long ago 'private' (as for individuals) often
lower-cost domain names. It is only natural to use the domain name for
e-mail and other things.
There have been some gTLDs set up for such purposes, such as .name..
didn't work much for e-mail.

(with an additional mail server admin hat on)

Then, there is the issue that many (most?) e-mail providers have hard
time handling virtual domains. Even Google had hard time figuring this
for a long time.

Even if they figure out how to do it, it is either more complicated, as
it involves cooperation between the provider and the customer, or there
are other considerations, such as 'but they won't expose our
(provider's) domain name to the world and thus will not generate free
advertisement for our business'. This is also one of the reasons for
sticking to gmail.com.

(all hats off)

The gmail phenomenon is part of the Internet phenomenon --- most people
started using gmail just because it was fun, without putting much
thinking on the "what if" part. Most didn't even realize it was Google
behind that. In short, they took the bait. Then later, it was
increasingly difficult to switch their e-mail address, because
"everybody knows this address".

Google even used an (white?) lie to hook more people: they marketed
gmail as the 'independent' service, seeking the market, where e-mail was
offered as part of the Internet service by the ISP, but if you switch
ISP you would normally have to change your e-mail address. The part they
didn't tell people was that they will be hooked to gmail.com instead.

Daniel