[governance] Fwd: ITU Propaganda in APRICOT: "ITU is the original multistakeholder approach !!! "

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 01:34:04 EST 2012

Copied from the APRICOT live transcript, proceedings of the session
Internet Governance:

 In terms of what I would like to say for the structure, I think the most
> [...]
> continuesuntil today is the involvement of technical experts in the day-to-day
> activities of decision-making and coordination.
> For example, while the deliberation that some of us, for example, when I
> was working in government, I used to go to the meny potentialry and spend
> five or [ ...] five or six days, go through interminable long discussions
> about how to elect the nextoffice bearers and give direction to the
> organization per se.
> But in fact the really important work in the ITU is done in the various
> Working Groups.
> Under the ITU, particularly under the standard spot and under the radio,
> ITUR.
> In these cases there is involvement far beyond that of ..., it is the
> technical people, the manufacturing companies, the operating companies,
> various entities that participate inthe actual decision-making.
> One could say that the ITU is the original multistakeholder approach.
> And we have to keep that in mind, because governments by themselves will
> havedifficulty in understanding the complexities and offsetting --
> ^correction and of setting the framework for this extraordinarily dynamic
> sector of the economy that now we call the Internet economy.
> So with that context, I think it is important for us to understand that
> we are at an important decision point.
> We have had five years of the IGF, the Internet Governance Forum, and we
> are nowlooking to see IGF 2, the mandate has been renewed, but how can it
> be strengthened, how can it be enhanced? There are, of course, different
> viewpoints on this matter,about making it an outcome-oriented organization,
> which Mr Ravi Shanker will talkabout, as against keeping the value of the
> organization as a platform that people can freely express their ideas.
> Because one of the difficulties, of course, is that the minute you go
> beyondgovernance, one vote per country kind of model, it becomes very
> difficult to getdecision-making.
> We have seen that in the ITU world, in the Internet world, we have actually
> broughtnew ways of decision-making among experts that are actually quite exemplary,
> even in terms of governments should be wanting to learn about what we
> call ... working code -- getting the job done, rather than interminably talking
> about things, and by the time the definition is arrived at the matter has
> been already resolved on the ground.
> Those are the kinds of issues we will be talking about.
> My task here is basically to set the frame, which I will be joined in by the
> panelists through their opening statements, and then to raise a few questions,
> to see whether we can get some interactivity among this multistakeholder
> group and with you, and hopefully advance our understanding of the
> issues, the challenges that face us today.
> With that, let me invite Mr Hasanul Haq Inu, member of Parliament and chairman
> of the standing committee on post and telecommunications from Bangladesh.

APPLAUSE>>Hasanul Haq Inu: Thank you very much, Professor.

[ ...] My co-panelists, good morning and good afternoon.
> I am from Bangladesh and I am a politician, one of the persons who is in a
> position --people become scared, because when ... for this to close it.
> So do not get afraid, because the moderator, is in due time I will try to close
> my mouth and listen to you, because in politics, those politicians are
> successful when they are good at listening, and those who do not hear,
> they are bad politicians.
> The world is governed by bad and good politicians.
> I am one of them, so I have bad things and good things also.
> In December 2012 in tube, the ITU Conference is going to be held (Dubai
> ^).
> At that Conference they will discuss the governance issue of the
> Internet, but on thegovernance issues we should be very clear, the
> governance is ITU and the Internet Governance is very different, but the
> governance of the Internet is a broad based issue which needs to be
> addressed properly.
> In that Conference, I think the government and the multistakeholders will
> debate onthe jurisdiction of the international Internet.
> Many governments are also considering the continuation of the existing
> policy on the Internet.
> This could signal a shift in the regulatory paradigm on both the
> international and national levels.
> Well in 1998 the treaty was adopted by ITU which will be reviewed in that
> Conference, and some member states may put forward the idea of major
> changes with respect to the Internet.
> So we are on the brink of a very interesting debate, and we need to take
> veryimportant decisions, and there are many proposals floating across the
> world.
> One proposal is to develop an oversighting body on the nongovernmental
> multistakeholder organizations, like i [ ...] ICANN,* there are other
> proposals **and to bring under ITU the core functions of many organizations
> and nongovernmentalorganizations like IEEE, ISOC, ICANN, WOCC,
> particularly with respect to the design of systems infrastructure, the development
> of protocols and the management of domain numbering associations. *

Session in progress.

http://meetings.apnic.net/33/remote

Sivasubramanian M
ISOC India Chennai