[governance] Re: ITU Propaganda in APRICOT: "ITU is the original multistakeholder approach !!! "

Sivasubramanian M isolatedn at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 01:51:36 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 12:04 PM, Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]

> Besides these governmental roles, the cyberspace and many international
> agencies and other intergovernmental organizations are playing a role in
> Internet Governance, for example ITU, Unesco, other party organizations, organizations
> for economic cooperation and development, OECD, and council of the Asia
> Pacific forum.
> Apart from these, the governments -- the critical Internet resource, CIR,
> cannot function at all, is complicated.
> As you know, the current structure of the ICANN is ... because of this
> relationship with the US Government.
> The Internet's technologycal development as well as administration grew
> overall withlittle government regulatory intervention.
> It developed from the bottom up, plainly by technical developers,
> providers and users.
> The model contrasts with that of telecommunication and broadcasting
> industries, while in many cases top-down national government regulation
> historically guided the structure, the design of the media.
> The technological development and administration of the Internet is
> involved in ensuring that the network is interoperable, functional, stable,
> secure, efficient, as well as capable in the long run.
> No single person, organization, or country manages the Internet.
> Instead, the Internet's tellingcal management is handled by many entities which
> work with a coordinated and open framework, such as IEGF, IEAP,
> governmentalconsortium, consensus driven bottom-up in the field.
> Most of the protocols at the core of the Internet are protocols based on
> open standard that are efficient, trusted and open to global
> implementation with little or no licensing restrictions.
> They are available to anyone, everyone at no cost.
> So here we are now with the governmental bodies, intergovernmental
> organization,national institutions, so we need to develop a consensus on
> dos and don'ts and we need to take care of the don'ts to develop the
> relations, the technical protocols as well as programs.
> Here comes the role of the governmental body.
> The open nature of the Internet needs to be kept and not to be Dibbs turn.
> It will not be wise, from my understanding, that it will not be wise to
> push IEGT,IEAP, WOCC or ICANN or APNIC under ITU or any other body, but
> intergovernmental and governmental bodies can be developed and can
> function in a complimentary way and can have a direct relation.
> So a new multilateral treaty or agreement on certain principles can be
> developed to keep going the functioning of the Internet and promote
> solidarity and cooperation between states and underline the public value
> of the Internet beyond commercialinterests.
> IGF needs to focus on finding a new way of intergovernance, softer
> governance, to define the parameters for the rights of the Internet.
> Having said that, I will come back after listening to you, with the
> national ideas andregional ideas need to be activated and need to be very vibrant,

Thank you very much APPLAUSE>>Rohan Samarajiva: Thank you very much, MrINu
for a comprehensive overview.

*India's views on Internet Governance:*

I would like to invite Mr N Ravi Shanker to make his opening statement.

>>N Ravishanker: Thank you.

At the outset I would like to say that the distinguished panelists have set
> [...]
> sovereign boundary, you try and delineate what should be allowed and what
> should not be, according to a set of social mores defined in that
> particular soavment this is exactly what we feel the sovereign responsibility
> is in the whole process of legislation, and the government tries to
> create discourse and dialogue in order to bring about what we call legislation
> and a set of rules.
> Whenever there is a new diversion or way in which things work, there is
> always a certain amount of ... but at the end of the day we have to have
> give and take and see each other's point of view.
> I am getting to the point of the ideas per se.
> The idea is a body which has been created in a manner to have open forum, open
> dialogue with multistakeholders.
> Even ICANN and APNIC are also multistakeholders in that respect.
> However, the idea of this multistakeholders in the sense that it has
> industry, academic and society and the government in the process of the
> MAG.
> I would like to dwell upon the way in which the MAG should work, because
> whenthe renewal of the ideas ernetprocess has occurred, we from the
> Government of Indiaarticulated the vie point that while the idea has
> worked well, we feel it should movetowards a new paradigm, being that it should
> have a development orientation and should move in the direction of an outcome
> orientation.
> The development orientation because as one of the developing economies,
> we feel that the Internet and several issues relating to the governance
> and related aspects would be only when it has some socio-economic growth
> and inclusiveness into it.
> That is why, when we hosted the third IGF in India at Hider be a add, we called
> it Internet for all, and the idea of Internet for all was inclusive
> growth.
> Subsequently, the chairman at Vilnius also adopted that, and the movement
> has been towards the development paradigm, rather than any other
> contentious issues of theInternet.
> There are two tracks in the idea, one is the enhanced cooperation and
> another is what is called implements of idea.
> We have articulated views for the implement of the idea, but the enhancedcooperation,
> we feel certain aspects which are falling under the domain of theUNSCD
> should move to such a platform, so that the bodies can discuss the public
> policy issues.
> Today there is no such entity or committee which can do that, [ ...] and
> many of theissues which have been mentioned by the [ ...]-on member of
> parliament from Bangladesh, we need to talk on public policy issues, for
> which we need an outcome orientation and this would help us look at it as
> a committee of nations, in order to move toward commonality of thought
> and purpose.
> I would like to leave it at this and thank the panel for giving me the

Thank you >>Rohan Samarajiva: I would like to invite Mr Paul Wilson,
Director General of APNIC, to make his openings comments.