[governance] Consolidated Themes MAG Consultations [DRAFT]

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 19:30:29 EST 2012

Dear All,

Warm Greetings! We warmly thank you all for your generous contributions to
the MAG Consultation Process in relation to the development of themes.

As we wait for the final consolidation of the comments from the threads on
Managing Critical Internet Resources Working Group and Security, Openness
and Privacy Working Groups, have a read of what it looks like at this
stage. Once we finalise (III) and (IV) Working Groups.

I thank Izumi for his work in consolidating the material, we are now
bringing them altogether in one single thread. We have passed the deadline
that Fouad gave which was the 27th February, 2012 but it closes on 1st
March, 2012. If you have any final comments whilst we are waiting for the
consolidation of the remaining Thematic Categories.

*Facilitators of Online Discussions*

   1. Fouad Bajwa – Facilitator for IG4D working Group;
   2. Bill Graham – Facilitator of Emerging Issues Working Group;
   3. Jennifer Warren – Facilitator of Managing Critical Internet Resources
   Working Group;
   4. Theresa Swinehart – Facilitator of Security, Openness and Privacy
   Working Group;
   5. Ayesha Hassan- Facilitator of Access and Diversity ;
   6. Romulo Neves – Facilitator of Taking Stock and The Way Forward;

INTERNET GOVERNANCE FOR DEVELOPMENT (IG4D)

 *  I.  *What are specific global Internet governance issues that have
particular relevance to development?**

*II.  *How can we Increase participation of stakeholders from developing
countries with a special focus on Increasing Youth and Women
participation in IG from Least Developed Countries?**

*III.    *Can IG, access, development and rights be inextricably linked to
the
rule of law in developing countries?**

*IV.    *How can convergence of Internet and Mobile Technology help in
bridging the gap and what needs to be done in the next 12 months?**

V.         Where can IG decisions stimulate work on building community
skills
and capabilities to take advantage of ICTs in development?

[Emerging issues for IG4D]

*VI.      *How can Open Data affect Development and what are the governance
issues around Open
Data[S1]<file:///C:/Users/Sala/Documents/CSIGC%20%5bMAG%20Consultations%5d%20Consolidation%20Theme%2029.2.12.doc#_msocom_1>
 ?**

*VII.      *How can IG4D become pertinent to social inclusion and
development in Africa?**

*a.     *How to promote Internet education in Africa and develop and
advocate
for policies and initiatives that governments could adopt in this
respect?**

*b.    *IT literacy and Internet literacy programmes targeted at particular
populations such as housewives, youth, military personnel, farmers and
socially excluded sectors such as low-income families and the
disabled. This would be a critical and necessary step in order to
increase internet uptake in Africa, bridge the digital divide, and
promote social inclusion as well.**

*VIII.      *Broadband - Catalyst for Growth**

*a.     *How to help developing countries to establish broadband policies
which have direct link to their sustainable social and economic
development?**

*b.    *Could we learn from some leading examples in light of recent global
economic turmoil?**

*c.     *Policy Considerations;**

*d.    *From Rags to Riches [eg. of countries who have climbed out of
poverty]**

*e.     *Stimulus - how to deal with the challenges

**

* *
*
*

* *

* *
ACCESS AND DIVERSITY

Participation of the Vulnerable

Explanatory Note: The advocacy of the “vulnerable” is critical,
particularly in ensuring that no one is marginalized.

      I.        Participation of vulnerable people in the Information
Society and
their voice should be raised”

     II.         Internet for Kids (and Child Protection)

    III.        Iimpacts of the Internet on Youth: Children, Young people
and Young Ddults, and their impact on the internet'

a.     How are 'youth' affected by Internet Governance decisions?

b.    How are 'youth' affected by Internet Governance decisions?

c.     How are 'youth' shaping the Internet? How can opportunities forl
youth to contribute positively to the development of the Internet be
encouraged?

d.    What are the differences in how Internet Governance should
address issues for children, young people and young adults?

e.     Clean Contents Development Awareness Campaign for the Kids Internet;

f.     Debates for Provisioning of Kids Internet Governance, (that is
beyond the Contents Filtering for Kids)

g.     Vote for the Provisioning of dot-Kids (gTLD with IDN translations)

h.     Campaign for Free Access to Kids Internet for Next Generation.

i.      Search engine for Kids

j.      Browser + Firewall for Kids Internet

k.     Do children have no Right to Privacy?

l.      From what age do children acquire the right to privacy?

m.   How to ensure there is positive content available to children in
engaging online and making positive choice?  [rather than adults
choosing to control children's and young people's access to
information with filtered online spaces]

n.     To create a universal definition for 'a child' is a major obstacle in
harmonising policy and legislation.  Can we find something that can be
reconfigured to provide a benefit for the 'new youth' as they come
along?

    IV.        Internet for Elderly or Senior Citizens

      V.            Internet for Women

a.       Empowering women through the Internet

b.      How the Internet has transformed economies through the empowerment
of women and children
Multilingualism

      VI.            Multilingualism

    VII.             Public Awareness for Contents Development/ Conversion
into Local language

   VIII.            Internationalized Domain Names (IDNs)

a.        Uniform Acceptance of IDNs

b.       Conventions;

c.        Controversies;

d.       Global Policy Consultations (ISO, IETF, ICANN and ITU-T to update)

 *
* HUMAN RIGHTS

      I.        Access to Knowledge: The Internet as a Medium for Public
Participation[S2]<file:///C:/Users/Sala/Documents/CSIGC%20%5bMAG%20Consultations%5d%20Consolidation%20Theme%2029.2.12.doc#_msocom_2>
 ;

a.     a tool for connecting governments, governance and citizens;

     II.        Children's Rights: Protection, Provision and Participation
[S3]<file:///C:/Users/Sala/Documents/CSIGC%20%5bMAG%20Consultations%5d%20Consolidation%20Theme%2029.2.12.doc#_msocom_3>

    III.        Balancing of Rights

a.     Key Considerations and Strategies for Improvement

b.    Intellectual Property Rights vs. Freedom of Expression vs. Privacy

c.     Balancing the interests and human rights of producers and users of
creative, digital goods of culture;

d.    Challenges in Cross Border Application of Rights

e.     What are the most serious current imbalances and injustices?

       IV.            Filtering

a.        How do you balance filtering content and freedom of expression?

b.       When is filtering acceptable? [w/strong objection]

c.        Exploring Objectionable Content

                                                               i.      Harmful
and illegal content;

                                                              ii.      What
kind of content should be declared illegal?

                                                            iii.      Undesired
side-effects of some of these measures

                                                            iv.      What
is done about this?

                                                              v.
Strategies
for improving the situation

d.       Hiding Behind the Veil of Objectionable Content

e.       Filtering Mechanisms Transparency and Accountability

       V.            The spam problem

a.        Problems caused by undesired automated communications

b.       Undesired side-effects of spam filters

c.        Strategies for improving the situation

TAKING STOCK: THE WAY FORWARD

          I.            Internet Universe

a.        Mapping Internet Governance Forums

b.       Regulatory Environment within the Internet Ecosystem;

        II.            How are the rules for the Internet set?

      III.            Coordinating and harmonizing the current plurality of
developing principles for Internet Regulation;

      IV.            Internet Governance Principles

       V.            Bridging The Digital Divide: Facilitating
Participation For All
In The Information Society And Knowledge Economy

      VI.            Promoting Human, Social And Economic Development

    VII.            Contributing To Poverty Alleviation

   VIII.            Infrastructure, Investment Issues

      IX.            Satellite Technology And Services

       X.            National Regulatory Models

a.        Strengths: An Opportunity to Leapfrog

b.       Challenges

c.       Handling the Diversity

 ------------------------------

 [S1]<file:///C:/Users/Sala/Documents/CSIGC%20%5bMAG%20Consultations%5d%20Consolidation%20Theme%2029.2.12.doc#_msoanchor_1>These
might fit into the general emerging issues track, but a
development-centred look at these issues could also be useful

 [S2]<file:///C:/Users/Sala/Documents/CSIGC%20%5bMAG%20Consultations%5d%20Consolidation%20Theme%2029.2.12.doc#_msoanchor_2>Democratization
of the Internet

 [S3]<file:///C:/Users/Sala/Documents/CSIGC%20%5bMAG%20Consultations%5d%20Consolidation%20Theme%2029.2.12.doc#_msoanchor_3>Instead
of Online Child Protection

--
Salanieta Tamanikaiwaimaro aka Sala

Tweeter: @SalanietaT