[governance] Re: [nomcom] Re: APC's Application

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Feb 25 12:17:32 EST 2012

On Thursday 23 February 2012 04:12 AM, Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 8:32 AM, Ian Peter <ian.peter at ianpeter.com
> <mailto:ian.peter at ianpeter.com>> wrote:
>
>     Sala,
>
>     It’s not improper for the IGC to support nominees submitted by
>     other organisations, or positions advocated by other
>     organisations. The Nomcom is only responsible for submitting and
>     deciding on IGC nominees – I am not suggesting at all that we
>     change that or add additional names to IGC nominations. I agree
>     that would be improper. However I don’t see why we shouldn’t
>     express support for nominees of other organisations.
>
>  Thanks Ian for the clarification. I respectfully have some
> reservations and the issue is not APC but as a matter of principle. I
> had advised APC when they asked about their application in December
> that I was not aware of the Application as they had sent it to the
> NomCom Chair.
>
> [ There is room in the future to set up systems to ensure that a
> specific email address is especially set up to receive applications.
> This will ensure that there are automatic responses to the
> applications etc] On the other hand, I had asked for the Applications
> that APC sent in December, 2011, I noted that it did not comply with
> the specific instructions that were sent to the list. I cannot presume
> to know how APC's application was treated, that is whether it was
> rejected because it was not in the proper format or because it got
> lost etc. This is something that the NomCom Chair will have to clarify.

Since the nomcom report does not mention what happened, now what do we
do? I request that the coordinatros ask the nomcom to specifically tell
us in a report addendum what happened, failing which coordinators tell
us what happened. Such an important and basic thing pertaining to the
validity of the nomination process cannot remain a mystery.

We would not for example allow a government election process in India to
get away with it (well, how quite unthinkable, so much has the practice
of democracy progressed), much less  can we allow a civil society
process to get away with it... We just must know what happened. You keep
mentioning about some 'extra-ordinary situation', what was it? If you
want you can share this information on a members only list, perhaps made
just for this purpose, but the information must come out.

parminder