[governance] CSTD WG on IGF - Day 3

Izumi AIZU iza at anr.org
Wed Feb 22 08:49:58 EST 2012

Last night it was around 8 pm finishing the work mostly around C Funding.
But this morning we are still discussing some remaining areas.

Now we are entering discussion on how the Final Report be submitted,
to CSTD [only] and/or to CSTD and GA also.

After some closure on this which is vague enough, we started to talk about
the Funding and reached agreement.

Then we entered the discussion on Point D, Broadening participation.
Suggestions were made to re-edit the Chair's draft, proceeded with
that suggestion, it is more of logical reorganization rather than that
of political views.

After lunch, we will go discuss about the Remote participation.
Our text we are going to propose is as follows:

We are not quite sure if we could finish all the work by end of today.
The Chair indicated that we will finish by 18:30.

---
Improve Remote Participation

Remote participation needs to be seen as an integral part of the IGF
process. It has steadily improved, in particular through remote
moderatos, and remote hubs. However, there is still room for
improvement, particularly in the following areas:
- ensuring chairs and moderators give 'online' and 'offline'
participants equal recognition and opportunity to participate through
establishing a clear procedure that would encourage remote
participants to intervene.
- ensure that low bandwidth conditions are accommodated;
- fostering multiligualism in remote participation by ensuring
online-meeting platforms interface with onsite interpretation;
- institutionalise mechanisms, such as captioning as they are
invaluable to remote participants, non-native English speakers, and
people with hearing and visual impairment.

Effective remote participation requires stable and predictable funding
to cover remote participation management and technical expenses in
order to avoid relying solely on voluntary work. The Secretariat and
the host country should work together to ensure the availability of
adequate technical and human resources, including remote moderators.