[governance] Re: Survey Results Out [IGC Consultations]

Imran Ahmed Shah ias_pk at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 20 02:12:55 EST 2012

Dear Coordinators and All Members
With reference to the context; discussion and objections on designing and conducting the Survey for a common statement and Balloting for voting my recommendations are as follows:

1.    Prior to conduct any survey/ balloting, the Mailing List and Voting members should be intimated in-time and encouraged and asked to suggest that what items should be (and/or what should not be) inclusive in the survey and/or ballot.
2.    Survey should have some additional input fields to provide more opportunities to obtain inputs and ideas for every kind and every level of users while they are attempting to answer limited pre-written fields.
3.    During the survey/ balloting the user should be provided with the option to disagree with all of the contents, overall theme or the list of candidate to vote for. In case of disagreement, user may be provided fields (text box) to endorse the statement and reason of the conflict or disagreement.
4.   The conflicts, disagreements and/or submitting alternate ideas, inputs should also be considered while preparing the final report.

With reference to the modification in the IGC Charter, requirement for the modification of the charter were established due to conflicts of opinions but the call for the support was conducted properly or at least as per the required tradition of the list. That is why the members of the list who could not understand their part in the participation of charter modification did not come up to complete the minimum strength of 10 members, even they agree with the points/lines/procedures to be modified. It should not the responsibility of the person who has the conflict of the opinion to arrange the supporting votes to complete the minimum required strength. Thinking from a different angle, if someone has 10 members, he can make any of the positive or negative changes in the IGC Charter. Rather than it should be responsibility of the coordinators to encourage list / voting members to participate in the charter modification process to make the procedures in a
 better form. So, my recommendations are as follows:

1.    Upon the establishment of requirement for the modification of the charter, coordinators should submit a call for the volunteers to meet the minimum required strength, and to give their opinion in favor or against the proposed modification, to make the procedures in a better form and in maximum elaborated format.
2.    If someone suggest the modification or point-out any problem, conflict or lacking of any SOP, it should be the primary responsibility of the coordinators to satisfy him and they should invite the comments from the list for the rectification of the conflict or the problem (it-self) rather than pointing-out/ highlighting the person who raised the objection.

Thanking you and Best Regards
Imran Ahmed Shah