[governance] Remote Participation

Marilia Maciel mariliamaciel at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 19:50:36 EST 2012

Dear all,

I have included the main points of this discussions (ex: preparatory
meetings conducted online, etc) among my contributions to the next meeting
of the WG on IGF improvements. I have also mentioned the workshop on RP and
the main principles that have been jointly drafted last year. I hope that
this is taken into account on the discussions.

I will keep you informed.
MarĂ­lia

On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 5:40 PM, Roland Perry <
roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:

> In message <CAMH9oT6y1mCLkKcYk8B5_**odewaLLQCLYb8w+KNe1VWj_10qOsQ@**
> mail.gmail.com<CAMH9oT6y1mCLkKcYk8B5_odewaLLQCLYb8w%2BKNe1VWj_10qOsQ at mail.gmail.com>>,
> at 18:45:36 on Sat, 18 Feb 2012, Tim Davies <tim at practicalparticipation.**
> co.uk <tim at practicalparticipation.co.uk>> writes
>

>> Roland's mention of assistants highlights another useful potential of RP,
>> where remote communities can support their in-person representative. I'm
>> reminded of some of the youth delegations at IGF11 who were using MSN to
>> informally network with colleagues watching on the webcast and who were
>> helping out with providing background information, or sourcing ideas for
>> how to input into sessions
>>

> I agree that it's very useful for a remote participant not to be simply
> "tuned in" to the main discussion, but also in contact with several other
> remote participants at the same time.
>
> Could we call that a "virtual hub" perhaps?
>
> But the assistants I was thinking of were more along the lines of people
> who can do the leg-work for someone in a very select position (eg a MAG
> member) and pass them a dossier of what's been happening, and suggestions
> on what to say, so that the MAG member has a more realistic commitment to
> be on stage only for the relevant three days a few times a year, rather
> than follow everything themselves at first hand.
>
> The caucus co-ordinators are perhaps halfway to the role because they
> seek, and are given, a collective statement to make. In other words, all
> members of the caucus are to some extent their eyes and ears, advisors and
> assistants.
>
> Unfortunately seats like those on the MAG are given to individuals, and
> not offices, except perhaps from the government stakeholder group where
> there has apparently been a little passing of the baton from one
> officeholder to another. Not that this is a bad thing, perhaps more
> stakeholder groups could benefit from the continuity this provides.
> --
> Roland Perry

>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

Centro de Tecnologia e Sociedade